While there are tons of good blogs on Tumblr, only a handful have the ability to have me howling with laughter as tears run down my face. These are my gift to you to get you through your Tuesday.
This is the first in what I hope to be a series or section devoted specifically to my favorite things that will absolutely positively cheer you up when you’re having a crap day.
I challenge you to click on any of these and not get sucked into them until you read them start to finish.
Hilarious and/or Awesome Tech Tumblrs
- When I found out that admins were logging directly into servers as root
- When a social engineering engagement goes poorly
- Me waiting for someone to use the Rails 0-day to plant Java 0-day exploits into all the startup hipster sites
- “Your password may not contain the following characters…”
- Bypassing input sanitation
- AV detecting itself
- When I see a dev’s code without sanitized input
- How I feel most admins deal with audit reports
- Granting admin access to devs
- Reaction after being sent a password in plain text
- First attempt at writing sploit code
A few favs:
- Working on the Wrong Server
- A small infrastructure change on 4pm Friday
- The moment you have to pick between puppet and chef
- How a sysadmin looks like when there is an emergency and [s]he’s dealing with it without panicking
- Providing feedback to development
- How time feels when participating in a meeting with non-technical people
- When working from home and VPN drops for the Nth time killing all ssh sessions
- Realizing a wrong chown -R
- Carefully examining nagios emails
Being a Female Software Engineer
This one is a little more biting and not always funny, but really excellent. I won’t highlight my favorites here because they write the fucking titles in ALL-FUCKING-CAPS (instead of using fucking text-transform:uppercase;) and that shit makes me insane. But srsly, it’s good. Check it out. Grr.
A few favs:
- When the sysadmins catch me in the datacenter
- After management tells us to buy our way out of the performance problem < -- this never happens for me, but I like to imagine it
- When I try to decipher my own code comments from last year
- When I see the developers adding a trigger
- When the server ran out of drive space because I left a transaction open
- When I catch a developer trying to sneak a change into production
- When I manually fail over the cluster
- When the junior DBA tries to repair database corruption
- When the developers say they’re perfectly capable of managing the database server
- When I tried implementing continuous integration for database code
Funny Tech Twitterers
- @Shit_HN_Says – (more sad than funny, as @uberbrady points out)
- @H9RBSjs – HTML9 Responsive Boilerstrap JS. Boom. Cross-universe compatible.
There are more here, but I’m drawing a blank. I’ll add them as I remember them.
Non-Tech But Hilarious and/or Awesome Tumblrs